Pages

Friday, February 4, 2011

Caskets make great refrigerators.

Interesting week its been. I don't usually consider my life super exciting, however, there are certain instances that should be recorded, as they are quite unusual. Since I have journaled since my adolescents I should be able to write an interesting book one day. This week has brought a few good laughs and a shaking of my head... what is this life I lead?
Example: I live next to a funeral home. Correction: I live connected to a funeral home. Yes, I know what you are thinking, spooky, creepy, weird, etc. All of the above have entered my mind on more than one occasion. What you don't know is that I have access to the funeral home...through my bedroom closet. And cue the scary music.
Well after living here for over a year, I've gotten used to the idea. It doesn't really freak me out anymore. I am not a believer in ghosts or people sticking around after they die. I do occasionally get the chills thinking about spiritual warfare and the fact that demonic powers could show up at anytime, but I think that could happen no matter where I live.
Back to the story.
This week I came home on my afternoon off and went to unload a few bags of groceries. When I opened my freezer I quickly noticed the standing water/deer blood in the bottom. (Sorry for the sick visual.) Everything had completely thawed out. My refrigerator was also not cooling, leaving warm eggs and two trash bags full of throw away food. When I called my landlord he informed me that I could indeed go through the bedroom closet, into the funeral home, and use their refrigerator until he could get mine fixed. (He assured me there would not be coffins lying around.) Still, apprehension? Why yes, yes indeed. Just the idea of it kind of grosses me out. Definitely something straight out of a movie or sitcom.
After not having my refrigerator for a few days now, I have begun to notice how often I use it. I aimed tonight to make just the right amount of pasta so I wouldn't have any leftovers. (Venturing through the funeral home at night is just not something I want to make a habit of.)
Next during my week of adventures...survival day.
I went to take pictures of middle schoolers learning how to survive in the wilderness. Now, I had in my head an idea of what this would be like. I pictured several groups of kids located in a central area, building fires and wooden structures. This was the case, except for the centralized area part. Oh, and lets not forget the insane amounts of snow covering the ground right now.
Upon arrival I trekked up a hill...to find another hill. Then a fork in the path...right or left? Right. Wrong!  Found that out not quite as quickly as I'd like. Turn around...go down a hill...up a hill...around the hill. Finally find one group of kids building their shelter. They were up on the side of another hill so I opted to take pictures from afar. At this point I was already drenched in sweat. It was cold today, but not cold enough to be layered up with snow boots, leggings, jeans, coveralls, a coat, two pairs of gloves and a scarf. I kind of thought I might have a heart attack out there. I found another group of kids up on a different hill. I went down the hill I was on to find myself in what should be a creek, only to literally climb straight up the next hill. I was grabbing onto the skinniest little trees, or twigs, anything to help pull myself up. The snow in most places was probably about 2 feet deep, some higher. When I finally went to leave, I got stuck. I had attempted to find my way back to the road, and when I did, I also found the deepest snow yet. The ditch had been filled in as the roads were cleared. This is where my legs sank so low, I had snow up past my hips. I was stuck for sure. Like really stuck. There I was, both legs in, thinking, "If a car even comes past here right now I am going to be SO embarrassed." Luckily, that didn't happen. I began digging myself out with my hands...one leg at time. I did this several times before I finally made it all the way out of the snow and onto the road. Phew...I was really working up some frustration. I did survive survival day, but barely! Seriously, I had no idea what I was in for.
Again, what is this life I'm living? At least I can't say its boring.

Amidst the weirdness, some things I love this week...
curling up on the couch with countless blankets just to save on gas bills
getting worried calls from my parents because of a blizzard
watching little kids get distracted from a theater performance by a tiny little bug crawling across the floor
and last but certainly not least, watching five episodes of The Big Bang Theory in a row. Thanks Hulu.com

4 comments:

  1. Jessica, Oh My Gosh! Maybe your dedication to your job has gone a little too far, you could've really been hurt out there by yourself, next time please take someone else with you. Anyway, so glad you're ok and that you can laugh about your crazy week. Love and miss you SO MUCH.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where WAS that survival day? If it was at the Volga River Rec Area and you didn't call me for help (you DID have your cell phone, right?) then that's just silly. You do know I live right by there? Maybe you were at Gilbertson's?
    Anyhoo .. love the new look on the blog and think you should publish at least the survival parts of this one as your column too! Spring IS coming ... the ground hog saw its shadow, and there were bluebirds on our property today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what fun! I bet JB would "die" laughing at this post :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really interesting, You’re a very skilled blogger. I’ve joined your rss feed and look forward to seeking more of your fantastic post. Also, I have shared your website in my social networks! webpage

    ReplyDelete