Pages

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Keeping it Simple

As I scan the pages of my favorite blogs I can't help but notice an overwhelming scheme of keeping it simple this year.  I must admit that when it comes to decorating, I want to be the house that has a certain amount of whimsical charm and instant like ability. Having to design on a tight budget, that's not always easy. I find myself in and out of thrift stores and consignment shops often. I skim the clearance isles and after-holiday specials. Although I have not been as frugal in the past as I probably should have been, I too am making due with the holiday decorations I have.
I can't say that I'm a big decorator for holidays (I am a little lazy when it comes to taking them down so I don't always feel the need to put them up,) but I am always up for amazing ideas. I just don't ever seem to find the time to make any of them happen. In the latest issue of Family Circle, some cute Christmas decor is hand-crafted out of felt. Oh felt...how I thought we'd never meet again. My memories of felt date back to those awesome felt boards in Sunday School, you know the ones. There are only a few felt characters, one week the guy with the robe is Jesus, the next week he's Moses. We've come a long way folks. 
Anyway, I never would have thought felt could be used for such cute little crafts and actually look good.


My apartment feels a little more ready for the wintry weather with my little tree lit up and decorated with some simple ball ornaments from the last two years, bows from last year, and of course, candy canes, (don't worry, they aren't old.)

To add a little bling to my coffee table, I've switched out my usual hand-painted pottery tray for this thrift store silver platter ($5), a sweet smelling candle, my glass candy holder and my hour glass (thank you Kohls for this 50% piece earlier this year.) Add few ornaments and shiny Mardi Gra beads and you've got yourself something cute, simple and a little glitzy.

2 comments:

  1. Jess, It's looking great! You are so cute!
    Do you have a nativity?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the fashion tips and talk about design! Great to tell people where you find stuff since not all of us are experienced shoppers like you! wink, wink!

    My only complaint: You need to post a photo of Charolette that proves she has ears! Where are they in that photo? Loved your pix of the snow too - great artistry!

    ReplyDelete